Tuesday, September 26, 2006

 
I'd been looking for this poster for some time. It was the first concert I'd ever attended. It was around Easter 1967. I was thirteen years old and had a crush on Margie, my older sister's girlfriend. She was fourteen, but might as well have been forty; I certainly wasn't going to get anywhere with her. She had much higher aspirations.

My sister and Margie spent the entire show being pissed off and ignoring me. I was only there because I had a thing for Margie and I begged my mother to have them take me. So there I was.

The show took place at an old RKO movie theater in NYC. Some memories I have of the show are Simon and Garfunkle seeming out of place in matching suits; the Who trashing their equiptment, and Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels getting down and dirty. The girls went nuts over him. Mitch was the main reason everyone came to the show. He had a big hit that year with Devil with the Blue Dress On. I recall the crowd going wild when Mitch Ryder went into a James Brown dropping-to-his-knees frenzy that had everoyone screaming and on their feet. It was something else. I only wish I could remember more. But it's enough for now. Posted by Picasa

Comments:
Sammy, so nostalgic. I feel like I was 13 again reading this.
Wonderful memories!! This is a great post!
BTW Have you read the book Devil in a Blue Dress?
 
I remember my first concert too. Nothing as wonderful as yours, and I think I must have been 17. I took my little brother and his friends.

...memories..
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?