Tuesday, September 19, 2006

 
1. One book that changed your life?
It would would have to be The Pickwick Papers by Dickens. I thought it was the funniest thing I'd ever read. I was in my late teens at the time. Comedy always moved me more than drama. It's when I read this that I knew I wanted to write humor.

2. One book you have read more than once?
I've read The adventures of Huckleberry Finn about four times. Again for the humor and it's eye opening take on racism in America, but set in a country closer to my heart.

3. One book you would want on a desert island?
Little Big Man by Thomas Berger. He painted an American landscape like no other. The American west at its best and worst. It's also very funny. (I've already got Huck Finn so etched in my psyche that it wouldn't have to be my desert island book.)

4. One book that made you cry?
I cried at parts of The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. So well written about a horrible subject matter: the rape and murder of a child. I'm almost sorry I read it.

5. One book that made you laugh?
My favorite 'funny' book is Naked by David Sedaris. Especially the tale about working as one of Santa's elves at Macy's department store. A worn out phrase: but it's laugh out loud funny.

6. One book you wish had been written?
Mr. Spaceman by Robert Olen Butler. It's a great satire on science fiction novels. One of the most original books I've read.

7. One book you wish had never been written?
The Bible. There I've said it. I've read it, and I still read it on occasion. I love the life of Christ. But I've just had it up to here with the old testement and religion in general. I'm a good and loving person and if there's a heaven that's where I'm going. And no priest, rabbi or televangelist is going to tell me otherwise. So there, lol. (Maybe it's Charlton Heston I'm having the problem with.)

8. One book you are currently reading?
Meditations by Marcus Aurelius. I find it helps me cope after I've read the bible. lol.

9. One book you have been meaning to read?
Dante's Inferno (I still plan on going to heaven, though.)

Comments:
Rich

(I almost typed Sam)

I bet you do go to heaven!

I also have a copy of Lovely Bones. What a terrific read! Didn't Jas recommend it to us?

Love this. I must get to the book store so I can catch up with all my friends!
 
Hey Sammy Sammy - love your blog!
It seems I am the only one on this earth who did not read Lovely Bones. must get it
 
Ah, Huck Finn! I can't get enough of him and Tom Sawyer. I enjoyed reading this Rich. I'll have to pick up Mr. Spaceman and Naked. I don't read enough funny books (maybe because they're not enough of them out there). Or maybe I'm just not finding them!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?